Ants in Vehicles
Kiwicare is receiving increasing reports of ants and other pests in vehicles and requests for how to control them.
Ants and other pests will infest cars and other vehicles. Some species of ant seem particularly inclined to set up home in vehicles. Perhaps most common of these ant species is the Argentine ant . This may be one of the reasons this invasive species has spread across New Zealand so quickly. It does not spread quickly by natural expansion but a few ants including a queen can be transported hundreds of kilometres by vehicle and set up a new home.
Argentines and other species also commonly infest electrical equipment of which much is found in vehicles. Ants will cause shorting and failure of electrics and electronics. In vehicles there is also the risk that ants in the pants during driving could be very distracting.
Spiders too are commonly found in and on vehicles. In this case the hazard may be lower, unless the vehicle occupant is arachnophobic. However, unsightly spider webbing is a nuisance especially when one tries to keep the shiny new car clean.
Here are our recommendations for getting rid of ants, spiders and other such pests in vehicles and protecting your vehicle from infestation:
Get Rid of Infestation and Protect Your Vehicle
- Ants – For 1 week place many small amounts of NO Ants Nest Killer Gel Bait in NO Ants Bait Stations, clean, well rinsed jam jar lids or on masking tape in the vehicle where the bait will not spill of be stood on. Also place bait in secure places outside the vehicle where it is kept parked (e.g. in a garage on the drive).
- After using bait for a week, or when no more ants are seen, spray the underside of the vehicle, wheels, wheel arches, engine bay, door jams, etc. with NO Ants Barrier Spray or NO Bugs Super. We do not recommend spraying exterior paint work as the products may leave a haze.
- The vehicle can also be fumigated. Put the vehicle with windows rolled down in a garage and use NO Bugs Bug Bombs or NO Bugs Borafume Fumigators set off outside the vehicle but in the garage. Calculate the number of fumigators required based on the volume of the garage.
- Sprinkle NO Ants Ant Sand under and around where the vehicle is parked.
- Spiders - Spray the underside of the vehicle, wheels, wheel arches, engine bay, door jams, wing mirrors, etc. with NO Spiders or NO Bugs Super. We do not recommend spraying exterior paint work as the products may leave a haze.
- Also spray the ground in the area where the vehicle is parked.
For year long protection you may need to carry out this treatment 2-3 times per year.
By David Brittain