Rust is a general term for a large family of fungi that cause discoloured and distorted leaves.
Rust is a general term that refers to a rather large family of fungi that attack plants. Rust infections cause leaf marks of yellow, orange, brown and black and infection may twist and distort the leaves. Note that rusty coloured patches on leaves may also be caused by nutrient deficiencies, sunburn and wind.
- Prune infected shoots off plants. Remove and destroy infected plant parts.
- For control, use PLANThealth Rose Force or Thiram Fungus Control from the standard Kiwicare disease control range.
- For a natural alternative, rust can be effectively controlled by Organic Super Sulphur .
- Once infestation is under control, use PLANThealth Spectrum as a prevention treatment.
Note: Myrtle Rust is a rust disease that has recently been found in New Zealand. It has the potential to be a serious threat to pants of the myrtle family including pohutukawa and manuka. If you suspect myrtle rust please contact MPI Bioisecurity on 0800 80 99 66.
- To protect susceptible plants from rust including myrtle rust spray with PLANThealth Rose Force.
Did you know
Rust diseases are coused by fungi of the order Pucciniales.
Deals with Rust
View all products