Safe Storage of Pesticides
Here is advice on storage of home and garden chemicals; insecticides, weed killers, fungicides, cleaners, fuels, fertilisers, seeds, aerosols, baits and more.
- Read the instructions! The first thing to do is read the instructions on the packaging, this will describe the storage requirements for the product.
In almost all cases the storage instructions will advise:
- Keep out of the reach of children. Remember ‘child-resistant’ packages are not childproof.
- Do not store with food or where food is handled.
See the product Safety Data Sheets for further information on the product.
The stability of products can be affected by factors such as light, air, heat and cold. To get the best from your product:
- Store in a cool dark place.
- Store products where temperatures remain between 10°C and 30°C.
- Store where sunlight, even through windows, does not fall directly on the product or packaging.
- Store with the lid or other closure tightly sealed.
- Safely dispose of products that are past their use by/expiry date or are older than 3 years.
Also consider what could happen to the product in the event of an earthquake, high winds, etc.
- Store the product where it will not spill if it falls over e.g. do not store on high open shelves.
- Do NOT store products where they can be accessed by children or animals (including rats and mice).
- Do NOT store the product in containers other than those they have been supplied in. Especially never store the product in food or drink containers.
- Do NOT change the label on a product.
- Do NOT store aerosols in direct sunlight or near a naked flame or other sources of heat.
- Do NOT store products with food or pet food.
- Do NOT mix products together.