Nostoc is a colonial cyanobacteria (blue-green alga) slime which swells up into a jelly like mass when wet.
Identify the problem
Nostoc is a colonial cyanobacteria (blue-green alga, which is not the same as the green alga you might get growing on paths and fences) slime which swells up into a jelly like mass when wet. It is bluish-green, olive green or brown when wet but in dry conditions it becomes an inconspicuous, crisp brownish mat.
- On drives, paths, gravel and other surfaces apply Weed Weapon Rapid Action or Weed Weapon Natural Power.
Or apply SORTED Moss & Mould. This powerful targeted formulation kills and prevents damaging moss, mould, algae, nostoc and lichen. It goes on to protect the surfaces all season long. This hose end sprayer is easy to use; simply click the pack onto the end of your hose and spray on and leave, without rinsing off. SORTED Moss & Mould penetrates the surface killing the damaging organisms and they will then weather off over time.
- On lawns apply LawnPro Mossclear.
Did You Know
- Nostoc is a genus of cyanobacteria
- These bacteria contain photosynthetic pigments to perform photosynthesis.
- SORTED Moss & Mould is best applied when the Nostoc is dry but not crispy.
- Improving drainage can help stop Nostoc returning.
- Nostoc seems to thrive in alkaline conditions such as those found in lime chip gravel.
- There are claims that it grows well where glyphosate weed killer has been used.