Bear's breeches can become weedy in gardens and where it has escaped from gardens.
Identify the problem
Bear's breeches, also known as bear's foot and oyster plant, spreads easily by seed and vegetatively. It can quickly form dense infestations particularly in shaded areas.
- Apply Weed Weapon Rapid Action ready to use, or Weed Weapon Extra Strength concentrate with Dye & Stick, all year round. Follow up on re-sprouting areas twice a year.
- Cut down bears breeches and immediately apply Weed Weapon Invade Gel to all cut ends to kill root systems effectively.
- Small patches can be dug out but ensure all roots are removed as these will re-sprout. Dispose of plant material at a refuse transfer station or burn. Check for regrowth.
Did You Know
- Seed of Bear's Breaches spread via gravity, water and animals, and the plant can also spread vegetatively from root fragments.
- It impacts the environment because it can form dense infestations under tree canopy and in dry, sandy conditions, suppressing regeneration of other plants.
- Bear's breeches is Acanthus mollis