Winter heliotrope is a weed of waste places, near streams and under trees in the South Island and the lower half of the North Island.
Identify the problem
Winter heliotrope has large kidney shaped lower leaves. When flowering it produces a tall thistle-like stem of pink flowers.
- Apply Weed Weapon Rapid Action ready to use, or Weed Weapon Extra Strength concentrate with Dye & Stick, all year round. Follow up on re-sprouting areas twice a year.
- Cut down bears breeches and immediately apply Weed Weapon Invade Gel to all cut ends to kill root systems effectively.
- Small patches can be dug out but ensure all roots are removed as these will re-sprout. Dispose of plant material at a refuse transfer station or burn. Check for regrowth.
Did You Know
- Winter heliotrope is Petasites fragrans.
- There are several similar weeds including Burdock and Gobo (Arctium lappa).