Wild fennel and similar weeds such as wild carrot, wild parsnip, hemlock and hogweed are common on roadsides and in waste places.
Identify the problem
These weeds are fast growing up to 2 metres tall and have finely divided feathery leaves. The flowers are many small white or yellow flowers together in an umbrella-like clump.
- For quick and effective control of fennel weed apply Weed Weapon Extra Strength or Rapid Action. It will knock down fennel and similar weeds in 2-7 days.
- For woody mature fennel apply Weed Weapon Woody Weeds to all parts of the plant. It will control the fennel and similar weeds within 7–10 days.
- For best results apply in Spring, Summer or Autumn when the plant is in active growth.
- If you wish to more effectively prevent regrowth, apply Weed Weapon Preventer granules. This is a selective pre-emergent herbicide which penetrates deep into the soil. Do not plant seeds or sensitive plants into treated soil within 3 months of application.
Did You Know
- Fennel has a strong aniseed smell. It is a member of the carrot family that includes water celery, hemlock, wild carrot, giant hogweed, parsley, wild parsnip and others.
- Latin names: Fennel - Foeniculum vulgare, Wild carrot - Daucus carota, Water celery - Apium nodiflorum, Hemlock - Conium maculatum, Giant hogweed - Heracleum mantegazzianum, Parsley dropwort - Oenanthe pimpinelloides, Wild parsnip - Pastinaca sativa, Stone parsley - Sison amomum