Brown scale are sap sucking insects often found on woody plants.
Identify the problem
Brown scale are convex, oval, dark brown 'shells', 3-6mm diameter/long, they are most likely found on the woody stems of plants.
To Get Rid of Scale Insects:
- Scale insects can be difficult to get rid of but spraying with PLANThealth Spectrum and/or Organic Insect Control followed by Organic Super Spraying Oil is most effective, killing scale through suffocation. However, do not spray in the middle of the day or in strong sunlight or high temperature as this can cause burning of the plant. It is best to apply to the crawling and young stages of scale insect.
- Once control has been achieved PLANThealth Spectrum is a good option for prevention and control of scale and the mould that often accompanies them. They can also be applied before (at least one day) application of Organic Super Spraying Oil.
Control Ants and the Sap Sucking Insects they 'Farm' in Trees, Shrubs and Ornamantals
- Apply LawnPro Protect on the the soil around the roots of affected plants. This kills and prevents ants moving up the plants, and is systemic and taken up by the roots of the plant to control the sap sucking scale and other insects directly.
Did You Know
There are many species of scale insect in the family Coccoidea. In New Zealand common pest species include:
- San Jose Scale - Quadraspidiotus pemiciosus
- Rose scale - Aulacaspis rosae
- Oystershell scale - Quadraspidiotus ostreaeformis
- Soft brown scale - Coccus hesperidum
- Apple mussel scale - Lepidosaphes ulmi
- Greedy scale - Hemiberlesia rapax
- Cottony cushion scale - Icerya purchasi
- Juniper scale - Carulaspis juniperi