The bite of the Australian Redback spider is very painful and in very rare cases can be fatal if anti venom is not available. The Redback is becoming more common in many parts of New Zealand.
Identify the problem
The Australian Redback spider is becoming more common in New Zealand and is spreading to more parts of the country. Recently it has been reported in the Bay of Plenty and other parts of the North Island. The bite of the redback spider is said to be very painful and can be fatal if anti venom is not available. However, it has been over 40 years since a Redback spider has caused a death in its native Australia
The underside of this Redback Spider shows the typical hourglass red marking.
If you find a redback spider please report this to MPI Biosecurity.
To get rid of spiders and crawling insect pest follow these steps:
- Crawling insects and spiders are effectively controlled by treating surfaces with residual insecticide. Insects that contact treated surfaces are rapidly killed and in many cases the surfaces become repellent to insects and so acts as a barrier to insect pests.
- If the areas to be treated are dusty or greasy it is good practise to clean these down first to prevent runs and for the best effect of the treatment. Cover or remove all fish tanks, pets, food, food utensils, food preparation surfaces, clothes, toys and bedding. Pull furniture away from walls so that you can get a clear run of spraying rather than having to stop to move each item of furniture.
- Apply NO Spiders Total Protection, NO Bugs Indoor or NO Bugs Super as a coarse mist around the edges of rooms, against skirting boards and kick boards. Pay particular attention to places where insect pests might gain entry to each room.
- Spiders can be controlled before they get a chance to enter your home.
- Choose a still day with a forecast of dry conditions for the next 6 hours. Apply NO Bugs Super as a coarse mist to exterior walls, window frames, door frames, vents, pergolas and other surfaces which pest insects and spiders might contact.
- Spraying the exterior with NO Bugs Super acts as a barrier to many pests and will prevent the unsightly appearance of spider webbing build up around the home. Spray a band around the base of all external walls. Pay particular attention to doorways and around windows and vents. For spiders pay attention to gutters* and downpipes and other areas where spiders hide or build webs.
Did You Know
- The redback spider is Latrodectus hasselti
- The native Katipo is Latrodectus katipo
Pyrethroid insecticides are broken down by UV light and have a shorter life in bright sunlight so a second spray in such areas will increase efficacy. NO BUGS SUPER is formulated to resist breakdown by UV light. Also pyrethrins are slower to work in higher temperatures; so on warm days the insects and spiders may take longer to die after contact.
Many spiders, particularly white tail spiders, and crawling insect pests will hide and infest voids around a house such as roof and ceiling voids. NO BUGS BUG BOMBS and BORAFUME fumigators are ideal for eliminating spiders and insects in difficult to treat places such as these voids. The fumigants penetrate through the voids leaving nowhere for spiders and insects to hide.