Spider webs can be unsightly and collect dust and dirt both inside and outside the home.
Identify the problem
All spiders can create spider silk. Some spiders produce the classic spider web strung between objects to catch flies and others produce a tangled mass either to catch insects or as a nest and some uses gossamer silk lines to 'balloon' from place to place.
To get rid of spider webs outdoors follow these steps:
Spiders can be controlled before they get a chance to build webs or enter your home.
- Choose a still day with a forecast of dry conditions for the next 6 hours. Apply NO Spiders Total Protection or NO Bugs Super as a coarse mist to exterior walls, window frames, door frames, vents, pergolas and other surfaces which spiders might contact or build webs.
- Spraying the exterior with NO Spiders Total Protection or NO Bugs Super acts as a barrier to many pests and will prevent the unsightly appearance of spider webbing build up around the home. Spray a band around the base of all external walls. Pay particular attention to doorways and around windows and vents. For spider web prevention pay attention to eaves, pergolas, clothes lines, gutters and downpipes and other areas where spiders hide or build webs.
- Leave for at least 2 days before removing spider webbing with a dry brush.
- 1 week later clean down the areas with SORTED Dirt & Grime.Then re-apply the NO Spiders or NO Bugs Super.
Spider Webs Inside
- If the areas to be treated are dusty or greasy it is good practise to clean these down first to prevent runs and for the best effect of the treatment. Cover or remove all fish tanks, pets, food, food utensils, food preparation surfaces, clothes, toys and bedding. Pull furniture away from walls so that you can get a clear run of spraying rather than having to stop to move each item of furniture.
- For long term control, apply NO Spiders Total Protection, NO Bugs Indoor or NO Bugs Super as a coarse mist around the edges of rooms, against skirting boards and kick boards. Pay particular attention to places where insect pests might gain entry to each room.
- In hard to reach places, such as roof voids, use NO Bugs Super Bug Bomb or NO Bugs Super Fumigator which quickly kill spiders and insects present at time of release.
- Watch the video on How to Get of Spiders and Their Webs
- How to Deal With Spiders in Vehicles
- Check out how to identify bite marks her
- Download the 1-2-3 Spider Control Programme
Did You Know
Spider silk has many uses. They use it to weave webs and silk snares, catch prey, escape from danger, survive winters draped in silk 'sleeping bag', build nests for young, send and receive vibrating signals, truss up prey for storage, and "transportation" via silken ropes, parachutes or balloons (often aided by the wind; special insect traps on aircraft have collected spiders from altitudes of nearly 5 kilometres).
For best results wash down surfaces to remove dust and dirt before spraying. Allow a couple of days for spiders to rebuild their webs then spray surfaces and webs. Leave for a further couple of days and then brush down webbing with a dry brush.