Most flies pose a threat to hygiene and are a nuisance to humans and animals. Blow flies, house flies, fruit flies and other species of flying insects are major pests of homes, farms, shops, factories and other urban and rural places of human habitation.
Identify the problem
The true flies are insects of the order Diptera (meaning: two winged) and include common pests like houseflies, lesser house flies, blowflies, cluster flies, midges, crane flies, fruit flies and other pest species that enter our homes and workplaces.
Flies are vectors of a large number of diseases including gastroenteritis, dysentery, typhoid, polio, salmonella and tuberculosis. Others, such as sandflies, are a direct irritant, biting humans and sometimes causing painful reactions.
Numerous bristles on the flies' legs pick up and distribute germ laden particles wherever they go from rotten animal waste to your sandwich.
In warmer climates, breeding continues throughout the year. Eggs are laid in moist decaying animal or vegetable matter and animal waste. The maggots (larvae) of flies feed voraciously on the food matter before pupating and emerging as adult flies.
- Two groups of flies are grouped under the term house fly (or housefly) these are of the Musca and Fannia genus. Fannia are lesser house flies and are a little smaller that Musca house flies. Lesser house flies are often the type that are seen flying in angular patterns around the centre of a room. They can keep flying all day and will only land at night. This makes them a little more difficult to control using surface treatment alone.
- House flies breed in decaying matter, so search for these breeding sites around the affected buildings and remove the source or treat with NO Bugs Super.
- Blue bottle and green bottle flies have shinny metallic looking bodies and are larger than houseflies and are associated with rotten meat where their eggs are laid and the larvae (maggots) feed before pupating and emerging as adult flies. An infestation of blow flies suggests a dead animal carcase in the vicinity e.g. a dead rat in the roof space. Check for possible sources and carry out treatment as suggested above.
- Because of the particular habits of fruit flies they are dealt with in the fruit fly page.
- Because of the particular habits of cluster flies they are dealt with in the cluster fly page.
To get rid of flies follow these steps:
- Clear - A quick knockdown of flies and other insects can be achieved using NO Bugs Super Bug Bombs or NO Bugs Super Fumigator. Search for and remove fly breeding sites, fly food sources and dead flies. Clear drains, check compost heaps and bins for maggots, and use NO Bugs Super in areas outside where flies congregate. Breeding sites such as compost heaps can be sprayed with NO Bugs Indoor or NO Bugs Super to kill eggs and maggots. To kill flies in rubbish bins and keep them smelling fresh use SORTED cleaners and then NO Bugs Super.
- Barriers - Reduce the risk of flies gaining entry to your home. Where possible keep doors and windows closed.
- Clean - Remove or cover food that might be attracting flies.
- Prevent - Treat internal and external surfaces where flies land with NO Bugs Indoor or NO Bugs Super long lasting surface sprays.
- And/or use the Insect Guard Fly Control System.
Did You Know
Generalised Life cycle
The complete metamorphosis cycle can be as short as 7 - 9 days in ideal conditions.
- Eggs to Maggots 8 - 24 hours
- Maggots to pupa 4 - 5 days
- Pupa to Adult fly 2 - 7 days
Diseases That Flies Spread
As of March 2021, according to the World Health Organization, flies are not known to transmit SARS-CoV-2 (the virus that causes COVID-19).
Flies are known to spread disease-causing pathogens such as dysentery, shigellosis, E. coli, salmonella, typhoid, cholera, eye infections, poliomyelitis, diphtheria and many others.
The lesser house fly is often found flying in an angular flight path around the centre of a room. Annoyingly it may do this all day without landing on a surface. It is regarding the room as a shaded, area of still air below a tree. Sometimes changing the lighting and air currents in a room will stop these annoying pests staying in the room.
Join the conversation
Solutions for you...
Metered release of commercial strength insecticide for control of flying and crawling insects indoors. Insect Gu...
I do not have a particular problem but find that if I use the bomb before Summer and at the end it eliminates insects and flies. As I have high ceilings I really hate seeing webs dangling from my rafters like Christmas decorations!! Flies may come in but they sure don't last long...fleas do not seem to like my house either and keep well away even though the house may be unoccupied for a few weeks. What a wonderful product I have found. Thanks.
Thank you so very much for your kindness in sending the courier parcel today. We are excited to do the whole house and this makes it possible. We have since spoken to a chap who does his house with your product and he has told us it is really good and works, and that they have not had to resort to flyscreens, so that was very encouraging and good feed back for you