Fumitory is a scrambling and climbing annual weed common in gardens, roadsides and waste areas.
Identify the problem
Fumitory is a group of low growing, leafy, annual weeds, often scrambling over other plants and fences. It has weak stems, much divided leaves and pink or white flowers. Species include scrambling fumitory, rampant fumitory, bastards fumitory and fumitory 'officinalis'.
In garden beds
- Spot treat with Weed Weapon. Weed Weapon Extra Strength is systemic and kills weeds down to the roots within 2-4 days and is an ideal product for use around established trees and shrubs. It is inactive in the soil so planting can be safely carried out soon after treatment.
- For a fast acting organic solution use Kiwicare Weed Weapon Natural Power.
- For best results use in Spring and Autumn when weeds and turf are growing.
- If you wish to more effectively prevent regrowth, apply Weed Weapon Preventer granules. This is a selective pre-emergent herbicide which penetrates deep into the soil. Do not plant seeds or sensitive plants into treated soil within 3 months of application.
In paths and driveways
Did You Know
- There are several species of fumitory; scrambling fumitory, rampant fumitory, bastards fumitory and 'ordinary' fumitory.
- The name fumitory is derived from Fumaria which is Latin for smoky. Some species having a smoky odour.
- Latin names: Scrambling fumitory - Fumaria muralis, Rampant fumitory - Fumaria capreolata, Bastard's fumitory - Fumaria bastarii, Fumitory - Fumaria officinalis.