Groundsel is a very common garden weed. It is short lived but will grow, flower and seed within a few weeks of germination.
Identify the problem
Groundsel is a fast growing and easily spread annual weed. It is common in gardens and waste places. It is upright, has branched stems and clusters of tight yellow rayless (no apparent petals) flowers.
In garden beds
- To control groundsel in garden beds, spot treat with Weed Weapon Extra Strength or Weed Weapon Natural Power. Weed Weapon Extra Strength is systemic and kills weeds down to the roots within 2-4 days and is an ideal product for use around established trees and shrubs. It is inactive in the soil so planting can be safely carried out soon after treatment. Weed Weapon Natural Power will burn down young weeds within hours and is certified organic by BioGro.
- For best results apply spray in Spring and Autumn when weeds are growing. Control before flowering and seeding to prevent similar problems the following year.
- Apply the selective herbicide LawnPro Turfclean . This will effectively control groundsel and other broadleaf weeds but will leave lawn grasses unaffected.
- For best results use in Spring and Autumn when weeds and turf are growing.
In paths and driveways
- For long term control on paths and driveways use Weed Weapon Long Term. This will kill a wide range of weeds and prevent regrowth for up to 12 months.
- For best results apply spray in Spring and Autumn when weeds are growing.
Did You Know
- There are several species of grounsel and similar weeds including holly-leaved senico, gravel groundsel amd wood groundsel.
- Lattin names: Groundsel - Senico vulgaris, Gravel groundsel - Senico skiihodon, Holly-leaved senico - Senico glastifolius, Wood groundsel - Senico sylvaticus.