Common weed of gardens, grassland and waste places throughout New Zealand.
Identify the problem
Trailing and climbing weed with leaves in four to eight pairs of leaflets ending in tendrils. Vetch has pea-like purple flowers and pea-like seed pods.
- Vetches have shallow root systems and are easily pulled out. Use Kiwicare Weed Weapon Extra Strength or Rapid Action to spray and kill vetch, taking care not to spray garden plants.
- In organic gardens Weed Weapon Natural Power will effectively kill vetch.
- To prevent germination of seed and growth of bulbs use Weed Weapon Long Term or Weed Weapon Preventer can be used in areas once weeds have been cleared.
- Apply a selective herbicide such as LawnPro Turfclean Ultra, LawnPro Prickle and Hydrocotyle or LawnPro Turfclean. They will effectively kill clover but leave the lawn grass unaffected.
- Other options include LawnPro Turfclean & Green and All-in-1.
- For best results apply spray in Spring and Autumn when weeds are growing.
Did You Know
- Vetches are in the genus Vicia and are part of the legume family.