Chickweeds are fast growing annual weeds, usually light green, soft, low growing and trailing. Chickweed is very common in New Zealand gardens.
Identify the problem
Chickweeds are common fast growing annual weeds often found in vegetable patches and flowerbeds. Chickweeds are variable in appearance but are usually light green, soft, and low growing. The weed often has branched stems sprawling up to 40cm. Flowers are generally small, white and star shaped. Other common names for chickweeds are mouse-ear and chickenwort.
In Garden Beds
- To control chickweed in garden beds, spot treat with Weed Weapon Extra Strength, Rapid Action or Weed Weapon Natural Power. Weed Weapon products are systemic and kills weeds down to the roots within 2-4 days and is an ideal product for use around established trees and shrubs. It is inactive in the soil so planting can be safely carried out soon after treatment. Weed Weapon Natural Power will burn down young weeds within hours and is certified organic by BioGro.
- For best results apply spray in Spring and Autumn when weeds are growing. Control before flowering and seeding to prevent similar problems the following year.
- Apply LawnPro Turfclean Ultra, LawnPro Turfclean, All-in-1 or Turfclean & Green to control chickweed in lawns without harm to lawn grass.
In Paths and Driveways
- For long term control on paths and driveways use Weed Weapon Long Term. This will kill a wide range of weeds and prevent regrowth for up to 12 months.
- For best results apply spray in Spring and Autumn when weeds are growing.
Did You Know
- Common Chickweed is sometimes used as herbs and for herbal medicinal purposes.
- Latin name: Stellaria media.