Purslane is a common weed of waste places, flowerbeds, paths and other places throughout New Zealand.
Identify the problem
Purslane is prostrate, has fleshy wedge shaped stalkless leaves and reddish branched stems.
In garden beds
- To control Puslane seedlings in garden beds, spot treat with Weed Weapon Extra Strength, Weed Weapon Rapid Action or Weed Weapon Natural Power. Weed Weapon Extra Strength is systemic and kills weeds down to the roots within 2-4 days and is an ideal product for use around established trees and shrubs. It is inactive in the soil so planting can be safely carried out soon after treatment. Weed Weapon Natural Power will burn down young weeds within hours and is certified organic by BioGro.
- To control larger mature Purslane spray the whole plant with Weed Weapon Extra Strength concentrate with Dye & Stick.
- For best results apply spray in Spring and Autumn when weeds are growing. Control before flowering and seeding to prevent similar problems the following year.
In paths and driveways
- For long term control on paths and driveways use Weed Weapon Long Term. This will kill a wide range of weeds and prevent regrowth for up to 12 months.
- For best results apply spray in Spring and Autumn when weeds are growing.
Did You Know
- Common purslane is Portulaca oleracea