Spurrey and sand spurrey are common weeds of gardens and waste places, particularly in sandy locations.
Identify the problem
Spurreys (sometimes known as spurry) are finely stemmed, sticky, hairy sprawling weeds with narrow needle shaped leaves. Spurrey has small star shaped white flowers and sand spurrey pink flowers.
Flowerbeds and Waste Areas
- Spurreys have shallow root systems and are easily pulled out. Use Kiwicare Weed Weapon Extra Strength or Rapid Action to spray and kill spurrey taking care not to spray garden plants.
- In organic gardens Weed Weapon Natural Power will effectively kill spurrey.
- To prevent germination of seed and growth of bulbs use Weed Weapon Long Term or Weed Weapon Preventer can be used in areas once weeds have been cleared.
- Spray with LawnPro Turfclean, best control is achieved when the spurrey is young.
Did You Know
- Spurrey is Spergula arvensis
- Sand Spurrey is Spergularia rubra